Reducing the time required to convert a process from the last part of the previous product to the first good part of the next product.
The six steps in changeover time reduction are:
- Measure the total changeover time in the current situation.
- Identify the internal and external elements and calculate the individual times.
- Convert as many internal elements into external elements as possible.
- Reduce the time for the remaining internal elements.
- Reduce the time for the external elements.
- Standardize the new procedure.